Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Awkward Bus Moments


Kindergarten

Quote of the day:

“Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.”

- Abraham Lincoln (a very tall man)

Song I am loving right now:

Brown eyed blues by Ben Harper

Awkward Bus Moments

I have become more and more aware of how awkward the UGA bus system is. Maybe it is just that I am always there for the awkward moments. Lucky or unfortunate? I think both. Let me just walk you through some of the things I have encountered in the past few days or weeks. First of all let me start off by saying this; make sure that you apply deodorant daily. This is absolutely necessary when riding the bus because at any moment any body part can be flung into a strangers face. Most of the time, it is an armpit that is flung my direction, which I am going to be honest, is not always pleasant. Secondly, be prepared to learn everything about the girl sitting behind you talking on her phone. If there were a word per minute score for language, this girl would have scored 120+. Not only did I learn about her new pair of Christian Louboutin shoes, I also learned that her boyfriend got her a pair of lacy underwear from Victoria secret for Valentine ’s Day and she was surprised that he could pick out something so sexy. Even though this is highly entertaining, it becomes better when you get both of the friends on the same bus. A recent conversation I heard between two friends this week: “I watched pineapple express this weekend.” “Oh, ya, the first time I watched that, I was drunk and then I got high.” “Is it better that way?” “Oh, duh.” “what about Superbad? Is that better drunk and high too?” “Oh, duh.” I really enjoy when I see people that I know on the bus. However, it becomes super awkward when the bus is crowded. I usually debate for a while whether or not to say anything. Once, I decide that I should, I immediately regret it because suddenly I have 25 people looking in my direction; which is not at all desirable. Finally, be prepared to possibly fall. Although this has never happened to me, I have definitely fallen into people. I am not talking about a cute, flirty, soft fall either. I am talking about a linebacker tackle style fall. The gray hand holders are not built to support my entire body weight, as I always seem to anticipate they are and I end up falling into someone’s arm, face, head; whatever is closest. Then the cup or coke I usually have tucked securely into my backpack drink holder goes flying out of my bag and ends up at the back of the bus. In the end, I believe the experience is directly correlated to the driver you have. You either get the smooth rider or the bumpy breaker who cant decide if they want to stop or not at a non-pedestrian cross walk to wait for people to cross. Either way, I think that this one person might have the power to affect your entire ride to your desired destination. Is it actually ironic that I am finishing this blog on a bus? Overall for me, I have had very interesting bus experiences. I enjoy boarding the bus each morning ready to conquer anything that comes my way. Who knows, by the end of the day I might even have a new best friend thanks to the bus system! This is all for now, have a beautiful day.


1 comment: