Thursday, February 25, 2010

Music is love

Kindergarten

Quote of the day:

“In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - SNAP - the job's a game!”

-Mary Poppins

Song I am loving right now:

Lover lay down by Dave Matthews

Music is love:

There is something about music that always brings me into another world. Is erases all worries and fears that I have in life; at least if only for moments at a time. It is an escape that is unlike any other. A good song can honestly cause me to have a new perspective on life. I think it is fascinating that one song can instantly draw you directly back to a memory or an experience. I have learned in life that music can be one of the best healers of your worst wounds. There have been several times that I have selected a song on my iPod in order to purposely sweep me away to a place of peace and comfort. Even though a song ends and forces you back to reality, for those few minutes, nothing can harm you. Through the beats in the music, you begin to realize that all of your sorrows will be fixed and you will return to normal again. Another great thing about music is that it is one of the best forms of communication. Words are so powerful and sometimes a song can say them better than you can. I can remember years ago when one of my friends ended a relationship, we were driving in my car. I had a CD in and once she heard a certain song, she kept it on repeat. We had not talked about the relationship ending, but from that song, I could understand basically what she had been feeling. Music also has a way of bringing people together. This past summer, I can clearly remember my brother, sister, and I sitting on our dock listening to “Big Green Tractor” while sipping on a cool beverage. We all developed a love for this song and I believe that it brought us even closer than we are. Anytime it was on the radio, we would turn it up and belt out every word. Even though we probably looked like a bunch of hillbilly children, I love the fact that throughout the song we would glance at each other and smile. Another memory I still hold close to my heart is listening to the song “Butterfly Kisses” with my dad before bedtime. This song would always bring up conversation about me growing older and the things I had already accomplished. It gave my dad and me a connection and to this day tears come to my eyes when I listen to the song. Any oldies song immediately brings me back to the days of kitchen dancing with my brother and mom. Yes people, this is where I learned all of my skilled moves. Even though I was so young, I can still see my mom doing the twist and my brother doing the over-dramatic monkey; similar to the one Macaulay Culkin does in home alone. And finally most any old Dave Matthew song brings me back to the feeling of falling in love for the first time; a feeling which I will treasure forever. Music has the power to do so many great things. Listen to a song today. I don’t mean just to hear a song today, actually listen to it. Let it sweep you away. And “in the words of lady gaga, just dance, it will be okay.” Have a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment