Sunday, February 21, 2010


There is nothing quite like a beautiful day. Somehow sun has the power to change my outlook on life. I forget sometimes how wonderful life is. It is almost saddening that I have to wait for a sunny day to remind me; mostly because they rarely occur anymore. There is something about the fact that I am able to open the windows in my car and blast “Rock and Roll” by Eric Hutchinson or take a stroll downtown to enjoy an outdoor meal with friends that makes me smile. People watching is key on days like today. You can almost see the joy in peoples’ faces. I can’t really pinpoint the exact thing that makes a sunny day so enjoyable. It is the combination between couples holding hands walking across campus, friends playing Frisbee in front of the library, shorts, and tropical beverages. To me, on a sunny day, the world seems like it is filled with so many more opportunities. Sunny days also make me wish that I could travel somewhere exotic like Turks and Caicos. To everyone who is on those glamorous islands today: I am extremely jealous of you. Nothing makes a day more complete than watching the sunset on a white sand beach. Another thing about being on an island is that you never have to be anywhere. You never have any deadlines, due dates, pressures, or failures. It is completely carefree and pleasurable. Of course these trips can never be satisfying if you are not in the company of others. That is what makes this life whole; being surrounded by good people. Although today I was unfortunately not on one of the islands of Turks and Caicos, I still enjoyed the beautiful day by grabbing some appetizers and drinks with a few friends at one of Athens well known restaurants; East West. East West has one of my all time favorite appetizers; Sweet potato chips and blue cheese; can any appetizer get better than this? Things like these make me realize that Athens is such a great town to reside in. I don’t know what I am going to do when I have to leave my favorite restaurants and appetizers. Ha, sounds silly, but honestly I know for a fact that it is going to be the little things that I miss about Athens. The simple pleasures that Athens holds is undeniably my favorite thing about going to school here. When is there going to be another time in my life where I live .5 mile from a plethora of restaurants, bars, and shops? Probably not anytime soon. In addition, I consider myself a suburban dweller. That is where I want to end up, maybe even in a small suburban area. However, for right now I am really enjoying the small city living. Not to mention that all my close friends live within 5 minutes of me and a simple drive can make an entire day complete. That’s another fear, leaving these friends I have developed over the last few years. I know there is the idea that we will always keep in touch and we will always be just as close. But, can this be true? Can people be separated and keep the same consistency in their relationship? I am not sure. So, from these random thoughts, I can summarize that I have three very important loves in my life; beautiful days, Athens, and friendships.


1 comment:

  1. I think you captured it perfectly. Except for the fact you forgot to mention the loyal black dog by your side that loves you unconditionally!!!

    ReplyDelete